Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Goodbye, Squidy

So the new car is here, which means we will be getting rid of the Corolla (squidy) tomorrow. It is called squidy because early on, I left a couple of packets of frozen squid in the trunk for a few days (during a record high summer) to thaw and percolate. The squids were for a dissection experiment which we didn't have time to get to. I put them back in the trunk and forgot to take them out. Oops.

Let's just say that when I remembered them a few days later, the trunk (and the rest of the car) stank so badly, I seriously thought about just burning it and calling it a day. I tried everything known to man to get the smell out. Cans upon cans of Febreeze and Zoust, candles, sprays and scents of various kinds. Nothing worked. After years of numerous detailed cleaning, the smell is gone (mostly).

The Corolla was originally a beater car purchased 6 years ago solely for the purpose of carting my aunt around when she visited from another country. I only had the 3000 at the time, and it wouldn't have been very comfy for her to sit in a Recaro racing shell with a 5-point harness. Plus, my mom would probably have had a difficult time climbing into the back seats with a roll cage in the way.

Through the years, the Corolla has served me well. I have been from San Diego to Sacramento to Vegas, and everywhere in between in that thing. I've raced it, had it towed, had numerous parking tickets (but none for speeding), and with over 130k miles, it's still going strong. As unloved as an ugly stepchild as the Corolla has been, I will admit that a little piece of me will miss it when it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment