Today is one of the reasons I keep going as a teacher. Today was Alumni Day at our school, so past graduates were able to come back for a visit. For some of these kids, it's the first time they've been back since their graduation. Plus, quite a few of these kids have not seen their peers in years.
Last I heard, there were only a handful of kids that would attend. I wasn't sure if I was going, but seeing that we have half a dozen new teachers this year, it would be best for me to make an appearance. I had a blast!!! As soon as I walked in the door, there were a dozen kids running up to me for hugs.
I didn't realize how much I've missed some of these kids (not really "kids" anymore)! I've seen most of them a few times throughout the years, but there were some I haven't seen since they've graduated. They all look so much bigger, taller, and their voices are deeper. They look so grown up, adult even.
There must have been close to 50 alumni students there. Considering my first graduating class of 8th graders were only a class of 13 students, having 50+ of them there is saying a lot. We got caught up on past students, their high school lives, their college lives, etc. We sat and all talked for hours.
There was a photobooth, so groups of us squeezed in for pictures. I was dragged into a game of volleyball and I'm ashamed to say that even with the amazing PE program we have, I've never even touched a volleyball until today. It was just great to see them all and see they're doing well.
It also felt good to hear how prepared they were for science in high school. There were some students that I knew wouldn't show, and they didn't. There were some that I was surprised to see, and there were some that I wished would have shown up. Overall though, great kids and great times!
No comments:
Post a Comment