Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Weight

So we've all heard that BF'ing can help with losing the baby weight. This may be an old wives tale, but it definitely holds true for me. In fact, it is working a little too well. I have been steadily losing weight. I was glad just to hit my pre-pregnancy weight, but it has gone beyond that at this point.

In my early to mid 20's, I had to be 112lbs or less due to competing in TKD. I have never dieted. I have always had a fast metabolism and been underweight my entire life. It was easy for me to maintain my weight. I didn't have to watch what I ate, and just doing TKD was enough to keep me slender.

People always told me that as I get older, it will be harder for me to stay slim. I was okay with that. When I hit my 30's and we decided to start trying for a baby, I was okay knowing I was never going to be "skinny" again. It was worth the sacrifice in order to have a baby. Besides, I'd still be slender.

When I got pregnant the first time, I gained 30lbs in six weeks. I am all for baby weight, but even I knew that was excessive. Turned out I had a thyroid issue, and with Synthroid, my weight started to even out. After losing our little girl at 17 weeks, my weight was at its highest, 145. I didn't care.

I didn't bother trying to lose the weight because I knew we were going to get pregnant again. After more than a year and 2 more losses later, I decided to start getting back in shape. I worked out inconsistently for a couple of months before finally getting pregnant. I was at a healthier weight of 130.

I didn't gain much during the 1st trimester. My doctor wanted me to gain 35lbs. I gained 10lbs by the end of my 2nd trimester. I got my biggest weight gain in the 3rd trimester. The day before giving birth, I weighed myself that morning, 161.1. I didn't quite hit the 35lbs mark, but I felt HUGE!

A week after giving birth, I was down to 143. Not the big drop I was expecting, but week by week, I was losing the weight. By 2 months, I was back to 130 and fitting my pre-pregnancy jeans. It wasn't a great fit, but I was able to get them on. I just figured I will now be a size 4/6. I was okay with that.

I cleaned out my closet and got rid of all my size 0's. I also got rid of most of my size 2's, and even a few 4's. Skirts, pants, jeans, all given away. I am now a mother and being a size 4/6 was a healthy weight. I knew if I wanted to be a 2, it would require work. I knew that was not going to happen. Hah!

Well, now that I am a little more than 4 months post-pregnancy, I have lost an additional 15lbs and weigh in at 115. My pants/jeans are too big for me. I went out and bought some size 2's, but even those are loose on me. I'm not sure how much more I'll lose, but people are saying I'm getting too thin.

I agree that I have lost more weight than expected. Am I "too thin?" Perhaps. However, I think that is just how body is. Will I always be underweight? Probably not. For now, I am BF'ing, taking care of a 4 month old, sleep deprived 34yr old. So what if I'm a little underweight? I'll worry in my 40's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment